Cases of Quality: Case Studies of the Approval and Evaluation of K-12 Online and Blended Providers PROCEEDING
Michael Barbour, Sacred Heart University, United States ; Tom Clark, Clark Consulting, United States
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in Savannah, GA, United States ISBN 978-1-939797-13-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Chesapeake, VA
Michigan Public Act 60 (2013) tasked Michigan Virtual University, through its Michigan Virtual Learning Research Institute, to “research, develop, and recommend annually to the department criteria by which cyber schools and online course providers should be monitored and evaluated to ensure a quality education for their pupils.” This study provides an overview of existing models of cyber and online evaluation, which serve to inform the forthcoming recommendations. In this study, the authors identify ?ve constructs for course and provider evaluation and approval using examples from Georgia, Maryland, California, Washington, Minnesota, and Colorado. The report concludes with potential models and key guidelines states might consider in order to ensure a quality online education is available for all of their pupils.
Barbour, M. & Clark, T. (2016). Cases of Quality: Case Studies of the Approval and Evaluation of K-12 Online and Blended Providers. In G. Chamblee & L. Langub (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 809-815). Savannah, GA, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved October 21, 2018 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/172322/.
© 2016 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Ambient Insight. (2012). 2012 Learning technology research taxonomy: Research methodology, buyer segmentation, product definitions, and licensing model. Monroe, WA: Author. Retrieved from http://www.ambientinsight.com/Resources/Documents/AmbientInsight_Learning_Technology_TaXonomy.pdf
- Barbour, M.K. (2012). State of the nation study: K-12 online learning in Canada. Victoria, BC: Open School BC/Vienna, VA: International Council for K-12 Online Learning. Retrieved from http://www.openschool.bc.ca/pdfs/iNACOL_CanadaStudy_2012.pdf Barbour, M.K., Brown, R., Hasler Waters, L., Hoey, R., Hunt, J., Kennedy, K., Ounsworth, C., Powell, A., & Trimm, T. (2011). Online and blended learning: A survey of policy and practice from K-12 schools around the world. Vienna, VA: International Association for K-12 Online Learning. Retrieved from http://www.inacol.org/cms/wpcontent/uploads/2012/11/iNACOL_IntnlReport2011.pdf
- Bowen, G.A. (2009) Document analysis as a qualitative research method. Qualitative Research Journal, 9(2), 27-40.
- Fontana, A., & Frey, J.H. (2000). The interview: From structured questions to negotiated text. In N.K. Denzin & Y.S. Lincoln (Eds.), Handbook of qualitative research (2nd ed., pp. 435-454). Thousand
- Marshall, C., & Rossman, G.B. (1999). Designing qualitative research(3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Miron, G., Horvitz, B., & Gulosino, C. (2013). Full-time virtual schools: Enrollment, student characteristics, and performance. In A. Molnar (Ed.), Virtual Schools in the U.S. 2013: Politics, performance, policy, and research evidence (pp. 22-36). Boulder, CO: National Education Policy
- Quality Matters. (2013). Subscriber institutions by country, K-12.Annapolis, MD: Author. Retrieved from https://www.qmprogram.org/qmresources/subscriptions/subscribers.cfm?program=3Shattuck,K.(2007).Qualitymatters:Collaborativeprogramplanningatastatelevel.OnlineJournalofDistanceLearningAdministration,10(3).Retrievedfromhttp://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/fall103/shattuck103.htm
- Stake, R. (1995). The art of case study research: Perspectives on practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Watson, J., Murin, A., Vashaw, L., Gemin, B., & Rapp, C. (2012). Keeping pace with K-12 online learning: An annual review of state-level policy and practice. Evergreen, CO: Evergreen Education Group. Retrieved from http://kpk12.com/ Watson, J., Murin, A., Vashaw, L., Gemin, B., & Rapp, C. (2013). Keeping pace with K-12 online learning: An annual review of state-level policy and practice. Evergreen, CO: Evergreen Education Group.
- Wicks, M. (2010). A national primer on K-12 online learning, version 2. Vienna, VA: International Association for K-12 Online Learning. Retrieved from http://www.inacol.org/cms/wpcontent/uploads/2012/11/iNCL_NationalPrimerv22010-web1.pdf
- Yin, R.K. (2003). Case study research: Design and methods (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Zucker, A & Kozma (2003). The Virtual High School: Teaching Generation V. New York: Teachers College Press.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.