Preparing Pre-Service Teachers for Practice Teaching: Digital Storytelling Using Cartoon-Based Imagination and Interventions in the LMS
Takeshi Kitazawa, Tokyo Gakugei University, Japan ; Toshio Mochizuki, Senshu University, Japan ; Hideo Funaoi, Soka University, Japan ; Hideyuki Suzuki, Ibaraki University, Japan ; Hiroshi Kato, The Open University of Japan, Japan
E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Kona, Hawaii, United States Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
This paper describes the effects a series of pre-practice-teaching lessons on pre-service teacher training at a university. We focus on a digital storytelling task, which helped participants to image their practice teaching at the school they were going to practice at using the cartoon-based-imagination system VoicingBoard. We focused on interventions in the LMS, which allowed the participants to communicate with each other while they were doing practice teaching at their school. From the results of the digital storytelling, we learned that it led the pre-service teachers to thinking about the life of a professional teacher before they started their practice teaching. From the results of the interventions on the LMS, we learned that the pre-service teachers were able to think deeply about their own teacher training because they were able to share with information regarding the practice teaching at the school with respect to the effort and the burden imposed upon others, with the LMS.
Kitazawa, T., Mochizuki, T., Funaoi, H., Suzuki, H. & Kato, H. (2015). Preparing Pre-Service Teachers for Practice Teaching: Digital Storytelling Using Cartoon-Based Imagination and Interventions in the LMS. In Proceedings of E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 1258-1263). Kona, Hawaii, United States: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved January 17, 2019 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/152161/.
© 2015 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Aitken, A. & Radford, L. (2012). Aesthetic Archives: Pre-Service Teachers Symbolizing Experiences through Digital Storytelling, Journal of Canadian Association for Curriculum Studies, 10(2), 92-119.
- Barrett, H. (2008). Digital Storytelling: Lifelong ePortfolios as Digital Stories of Deep Learning. In Multimedia memories& Multiple purposes of digital stories in ePortfolios. National Council of Teachers of English 21st Century Literacies Institute, Indianapolis, IN. Http://electronicportfolios.org/ncte/index.html (accessed 2015.08.12)
- Darling-Hammond, L. & Bransford, J. (2005). (Eds.) Preparing teachers for a changing world. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Kearney, M. (2009). Investigating digital storytelling and portfolios in teacher education. In G. Siemens& C. Fulford (Eds.), Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2009 (pp. 1987-1996).
- Lin X., Schwarz, D. & Hatano, G. (2005). Toward Teachers’ Adaptive Metacognition, Educational Psychologist, 40(4), 245-255.
- Mochizuki, T. & Kitazawa, T. (2009). Designing a Learning Community for the Pre-Service Teacher Training Using the Social Networking Service. In Kong, S.C., et al. (eds.), Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Computing in Education 2009 (pp. 316-320). Hong Kong: Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education.
- Mochizuki, T. & Kitazawa, T. (2014). Digital Storytelling for Professional Socialization Through Cartooning Preservice Working Experience: A Case Study. In Liu, C.-C., et al. (Eds.) Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Computers in Education (pp. 933-938). Japan: Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education
- Suzuki, H. & Kato, H. (2012). VoicingBoard: Enhancing Multivoiced Construction of Ideas through Manga based Thinking, The Eighth International Conference on eLearning for Knowledge-Based Society, pp. 23-24.
- Zeichner, K. & Gore, J. (1990). Teacher Socialization. In W.R. Houston (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Teacher Education (pp. 212-233). New York: Macmillan
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. If you see a mistake in the references above, please contact email@example.com.